49 Random Facts About Argentina
Argentina is a beautiful tropical country located in the southern part of South America. It is not only a stunning destination but is also full of surprises. In this post, I would like to introduce you to Argentina by presenting 49 random facts about Argentina that most of the people do not know.
Here are few interesting random facts about Argentina for the curious minds!
1. In 2001, Argentina had 5 presidents in the span of just 10 days.
2. 8 people were crushed to death and over 2000 people were injured during the funeral procession of Eva Peron in Argentina.
3. In 1994, Argentina faced one of the largest terrorist attacks in South America, AMIA Bombing which killed around 85 people.
4. 30,000 people went missing in Argentina during the period between 1974 and 1983. It is believed that military junta killed them.
5. Five people from Argentina have won Nobel Prize for science and peace.
6. Argentina holds the record for the highest and lowest recorded temperatures on the continent i.e. 120.4 degrees in the year 1920 and -27 degrees in the year 1907.
7. Argentina was among the first countries to have radio broadcasting.
8. In 1891, an Argentine police official, made the first criminal fingerprint identification to determine if a person was guilty of a crime.
Geographical Random Facts About Argentina
9. Argentina is home to third largest freshwater source in the world, Perito Moreno Glacier which is growing year on year instead of shrinking.
10. Mount Aconcagua is the highest point in Argentina measuring 6,962 meters and is also the tallest mountain in entire America.
11.Earth’s magnetic field around Argentina is steadily weakening over the past 180 years.
12. Argentina is home to over 10% of the world’s total flora.
13. Ushuaia city in Argentina is the southernmost located city in the entire world.
14. The capital city of Argentina, Buenos Aires is the fourth biggest city in the world.
15. Argentina has the highest number of psychiatrists per capita across the globe.
16. Argentina is the 8th largest country in the world with 2,780,400 sq km land area.
17. With 23 provinces and one autonomous city, Argentina is the 2nd largest country in South America. Each province has its own constitution, but exist under a federal system.
18. The official language of Argentina is Spanish.
19. Pope Francis, the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church is from Argentina.
20. Argentina has won the highest number of polo championships among other countries.
21. Argentina in the 2nd largest consumer of beef per capita in the entire world. It produces around 2.8 to 3.5 million tons of beef annually.
22. An average of 1 in every 30 people undergo cosmetic surgery in Argentina due to the low cost of surgery.
23. After Japan, Argentina has the second highest rate of anorexia.
24. The literacy rate in Argentina is very high.
25. Buenos Aires, the capital city of Argentina is popularly known as ‘Paris of South America’ because of high European influence. Almost 97% of Argentina’s population comprises of European descents.
26. Argentina’s total nominal GDP is $545.9 billion and per capita GDP is around $ 12,449.22.
27. Argentina was the world’s 10th wealthiest nation per capita in 1913. However, now it stands at 54th position.
28. Argentina enjoys 3rd largest economy in Latin America and 2nd largest in South America.
29. Since 1992, the currency of Argentina is the Argentine Peso.
30. Since 1970, Argentina has dropped 13 zeroes off their currency, a factor of ten trillion.
31. Argentina boasts of its abundant natural resources, booming industrial performance and growing agriculture sector.
32. Approximately 80% of the country’s imports and exports take place at the port of Buenos Aires.
33. Argentina is the 5th largest wine producer in the world with over 1,800 wineries.
34. In 2004, Argentina exported over 159,000 tons of wine which is almost 2% of the world’s total wine exports.
35. Argentina has over 86 million acres of land for growing crops which makes it one of the largest food producing and exporting countries across the globe.
36. Argentina is the 5th largest wheat exporter in the world.
Other Random Facts About Argentina
37. The origination of many ballroom dances including Tango took place in Argentina.
38. During a soccer match between Argentina and Peru in 1964, a referee’s decision led to a riot killing about 300 fans and another 500 were injured.
39. Argentina’s ex-soccer player Diego Maradona has his own religion made by his fans.
40. Argentina government has passed a law banning parents from naming their children “Messi.” in Lionel Messi’s hometown.
41. Average Argentinian spends more than 20 hours a week listening to the radio, which is the highest in any country.
42. The famous toothpaste brand “Colgate” translates to “Go Hang Yourself” in Argentine Spanish.
43. The oldest dinosaur species called Murusraptor barrosaensis, which lived about 80 million years ago was traced back to both Argentina and Brazil.
44. Argentina is home to the giant anteater whose tongue that can grow up to 2 feet long.
45. Pope Francis was once a bar bouncer in Buenos Aires.
46. Political parties In Argentina have their own brands of beer.
47. Argentina was home to the world’s earliest plant, Liverworts which dates back to approximately 472 million years ago.
48. People in Argentina utilize more public transportation than driving their own cars.
49. The widest street in the entire world with total 14 lanes, plus 4 lanes of parallel streets is in Argentina. It is named July 9 Avenue.
I hope you enjoy learning these random facts about Argentina!
Other Country Random Facts – 38 Random Facts About Brazil